Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Last lesson - brief discussion on plastic everywhere in our life

Classification of plastics
- thermoplastics
-thermosetting plastics
Plastics also called polymers
Crude oil is what plastics are made of
Recycling plastic
Bio-degradable plastics (I.e plastic bag)

Discussion of shopping bag usage (minimum figure)
15 families
12 bags a week
4 bags a week for little shop

20 bags/ week/ student family
20 X 52 = 1040 per yr
1040 X 525 = 546,00 bags

This figure is pretty bad, I'm glad it's no my family though. My parents use enviro bags and recycle as much as possible. I think there needs to be more awareness. The environment minister should also advertise these kind of things as well, they are all like " go green and take
shorter showers and change lightbulbs" but less shopping bags is a better side to take. When I was in Adelaide for National Swimming every shop there has banned plastic bags, you have to bring your own or they charge you 20c-40c per bag. If that was my family and we didn't take our own bags that would be quite expensive over the year, especially with the amount of food I eat.


20bags a week X 20 cents
= $4

$4 X 52 weeks per yr
= $208

That is a lot of money wasted on plastic bags. This lesson was really eye opening. Wardy also mentioned that we are skipping robots for a while and moving on the desk tidys. All I know is I'm desperate for one. I've already started getting ideas for it. Can't wait to start production.

No comments:

Post a Comment